As a certified John Maxwell Team Coach, I work with leaders across business, government and the not-for-profit sectors to unlock their potential. I find this work both hugely stimulating and deeply rewarding as my clients and I travel on a journey together.
A few things need to be borne in mind as we work together:
- Everyone's worldviews and paradigms are unique, bringing a richness to interactions provided we respect varying perspectives and people's models of the world.
- Our experiences of events are really nothing more than our internal representation of reality. In other words, the 'map is not the territory'. Likewise, people may behave in certain ways, but that does not determine who they are.
- People are hugely resourceful. Typically, the answers we seek are within us. As a coach, my role is to help leaders find those inner resources, recognising that we all do the best we can with the resources we have available.
- All behaviour is context-specific and positively intended. Whilst it may not always be readily apparent what the positive intent is, the behaviour one sees is intended to get for the person something they want or need. Focusing on behaviour, rather than what is said, helps to unlock real meaning and adds a richness to communication.
- Leadership is about influence. People with the greatest flexibility of behaviour have the biggest influence on others and hence the best ability to lead - and to positively impact the world.
- I love the adage that 'sometimes we win, sometimes we learn'! It means that there really isn't failure, only feedback as noted by Christian Simpson on the John Maxwell Team. (As an aside, this is a great relief personally, enabling me to take an attitude on continuous learning with me into all of life's opportunities).
- Leadership, of necessity, embraces effective communication. Too often we forget that the meaning of communication is reflected in the responses we get! In other words, the message sent is not actually the message. What is received matters infinitely more.
- Overcoming resistance is about building rapport, nothing more and nothing less. Relationships matter far more than pretty much anything else.
I'd be delighted to discuss how I can support you in your leadership growth journey. Please reach out by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will reply as quickly as possible.